Hmm..  I did buy a newer faster 6.4gb drive a while back.
And you're quite possibly right about the fragmentation.
I'll give it a try again today and see if I have any better
results.  I'm quite interested in running the machine on
just CF since with the hdd spun down the battery lasts
soooo much longer :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

-nils