Woohoo!  Finally got my 117 MHz 1400cs Appletalked back to my old Starmax,
and after installing 8.6 and the newer Orinoco drivers last night, my 802.11
card is finally up and running.  Been using my 1400 pretty much all day and
have one question...

What do you use to surf?  I've tried everything from Netscape 3 (left over
from 8.1; doesn't do well on today's Internet, not surprisingly) to Mozilla
(crazy slow and not really practical with only 40 megs of RAM) to IE and,
yes, even iCab.  Everything seems to choke the processor when it tries to
render the images, etc., onto the screen, making my cable modem seem more
like a "real" modem with dialup speed.  I even tried pulling Lynx onto the
machine, but beta1 is a little too buggy for daily use, and even then isn't
quite as fast as I would've expected.

I've already gotten speeds of 100kbs when downloading, so I'm confident
bandwidth's not the problem.

Just fwiw, for other apps I'm using:
Email -- Outlook 4.5 w/ a very small RAM footprint (2.5 megs)
IM -- AOL AIM.  Tried some others, but this seems by far to be the most
stable
ftp -- Transmit.  Also tried D1FTP, which isn't bad, but only seems to let
you download one file at a time.  ??  I'd already shelled out for OS 9-
Transmit, so that was an easy choice and runs well.
Word processing -- Using Word98 now.  Runs great on the 117 MHz, even with
the office assistant on.

Even CodeWarrior 5 for Java is running relatively well!

Anyhow, if there's a browser I've missed, let me know.  I'd really wanted to
stay on 8.1 -- 8.6 seems a touch less responsive in general -- but having
the wireless card finally work is great.  Aside from surfing woes, my only
real beef is the keyboard's missing keys (page up/down, end, home, delete,
etc, which are all on the iBook) and the waviness of the screen when you
look too closely.  All in all, though, for the price I can't complain.  If
only batteries were cheaper...

Thanks.  Sorry for the long email.  Just excited to finally get it all
working, but really eager to get a browser going.

Ruffin Bailey