Sandra Coolsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I would really like to use my epson lq 510 dot matrix printer with
>>it but i don;t have a cable to connect it to a mac. plus i don't
>>have a older mac desktop(which i hope to get)to help print things
>>for me. so now i am stuck using a dos machine(which i really don't
>>like)to help with the printing.

Brian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> replied:
>You need a cable called a "PrintPack" adapter, it's actually not just
>a plain cable adapter but there's some logic and buffering in the
>cable, too. Ebay will likely be the only place to find the old ones.
>They used to be made by a company called "GDT" and it's likely this
<snip>

InfoWave (GDT) made a product called PowerPrint with which I am familiar.
I'm not familiar with PrintPack however that may just be a different
packaging of the same item. In any case these were cables which allowed
attachment of just about any parallel port printer to Mac's serial _or_
USB ports. I've had the serial port model and it did indeed work as
advertised. As Brian mentioned, eBay is of course the place to look. Make
sure you get (or _CAN_ get) the software with the cable though, it'll be
useless without it.

This search brought up a few prospects (including iDocks which include
the USB->Parallel + more):
<http://search-desc.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=%28gdt%2Cinfowave%2Cpo
werprint%29&basicsearch=++&sosortorder=2&socurrencydisplay=1&ht=1&sosortpro
perty=2&from=R10&sotextsearched=2&BasicSearch=++>

hth,

Dan K

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700