At 15:57 -0400 10/10/03, Eric L. Strobel wrote:
on 10/10/03 2:19 PM, Mauricio at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

At 19:52 -0700 4/8/03, Jeff Hubatka wrote:
On Tuesday, April 8, 2003, at 07:30 am, (PowerBooks) wrote:

 You can't use an EIDE HDD in your 540c, only SCSI. The 340 Mb IBM SCSI
 disk
 is your best option, it is difficult to find anything bigger. That is
 the
 disk I have in my own PB 540c.

 That said, anybody knows about IDE to SCSI converters small enough to
 fit
 inside a 5XX? It would be another solution, but I think not very
 possible.

I found this site: http://goldsource.com/scsi.asp, which has info about them. I wrote and asked about getting just the adapter, since I have a couple of unused IDE drives, and they told me the parts were available for $144.

I was told some powerbooks that used SCSI drives actually came with IDE drives with an adaptor. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

I've got a roughly 1 GB SCSI drive in a Duo 280c, but given the difficulty I had in getting it (2 years ago now, I think), I may have gotten the last one in existence. ;-) The 1 GB (or so) size is the biggest I've heard of any true SCSI notebook drive. I'm pretty sure there were some in the 750 MB size range as well. Almost certainly any "SCSI" notebook drive bigger than 1 or 1.2 GB is actually an IDE drive with an adapter. At the time I was looking there were one or two places that would sell the adapter and the price you quote is about right.

Given how (comparatively) small a good, highly targeted set of 68k apps is,
a HD in the 100's of MB is probably good enough.  Given the expense of a
much bigger HD, if you absolutely need the space, I should think you'd be
better off trading up from the 540c to a 1400 or 3400.

Well, actually I was thinking on getting such a HD for a Sun Sparcbook. Since it too uses 2.5" SCSI drives, I was having ideas... =)