My 5300cs won't boot.

The power supply has been screwy for some years ever since I had the power
cord stretched across a path in the house and my wife came through chasing
the cat, and... well, anyway...

For some years now, the cord into the machine has had to be *just right* to
charge the battery.  It hasn't been too bad of a problem.  Whenever I saw
that the battery was draining, I'd play with the power cord in just the
right way until I saw that the battery was charging.  If I had enough
battery to power up, I was okay.  Actually, if the battery couldn't boot the
machine, I could play with the power cord until I heard the very faint high
pitched whine that told me the machine (and battery) was getting AC power.

I've been using the 5300cs less and less.  When I tried to boot it this
month to get my Christmas card list, it was dead as could be.  Could not
wiggle the power cord to get it to do ANYTHING.

I took the battery to BATTERIES PLUS to have it reconditioned and recharged.
They told me the battery was in good shape and would hold a charge.  I
figured that would be enough to boot the machine, but still I get NOTHING.
:(

Someone suggested to me that I hold the reset buttion in on the back of the
machine for 15 or so seconds, but I get no response at all from the machine.

I could live without the machine, but I really, really want to get my
Christmas card info and genealogy info off the hard drive.

I figure the worst case scenario is that I buy a used, working 5300cs (I
think I've seen one somewhere online for $50-something) and swap my hard
drive into it.

Is there another way?

Thank you for any help you can offer.