On or about 12/31/2003 3:32 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] or someone
claiming such identity, wrote:

>I've followed with interest the thread concerning the use of 5300 in SCSI
>disk mode and thought using this kind of connection for easing backups of
>my 540c using a Lombard as host computer. I wonder if someone has some
>experience about this case.
>
>Is it doable? If yes, how would I go about doing it?
>Please CC replies to my address as I'm on digest.

Hi, Gianfranco and Happy New Year.

Yes, it is doable as long as your Lombard is SCSI capable (I'm just not
familiar enough with this PB model).  I back up my own PowerBook 540c in
SCSI disk mode and it's very fast.  Since you'll be using the SCSI pipe
rather than ethernet port or, God forbid, the localtalk (serial) port,
it'll probably take you less time, even with the time involved in setting
up your 540c in SCSI disk mode.

The only software you need will be your backup app as everything for SCSI
disk mode is either burnt into ROM or in the system software.

For your hardware needs, you'll have to have the SCSI disk mode cable
which, if you're getting the Apple branded cable, is a darker gray
similar to the 540 case, about 9 or 10 inches long (22.5 to 25 cm), has
30 pins in the HDI-30 connector (instead of the 29 pins in the platinum
colored HDI-30 SCSI System cable) and bears an Apple part number
590-0718.  Use this cable and the 540 will automatically start up in SCSI
disk mode which is to say that the screen will have the diamond SCSI
symbol on its screen, and your Lombard will automatically treat the 540
as a separate volume on the Lombard's desktop.  Just make sure that you
set the SCSI disk mode to a number that won't conflict with any other
SCSI devices connected to your Lombard and that you start your 540 before
starting up the Lombard.

Hope this helps.

Tyler Williams