Brian writes,

<I have a Powerbook 1400c/166, OS 9.1, 15.10 gig HD.  It's pretty simple,
really, and I'm not trying to be condescending.  I have Office 2001 on
the drive, as well as Appleworks 5 which I use when on battery power
since it uses much less juice than Office.  Also on the drive is Adobe
Photoshop 5, AOL 5.0 and the standard web surfing programs that come with
OS 9.  Then there is Norton Utilities, various other utility programs,
and a load of games, such as Absolute zero and various other older
classic OS games.  Then there is Real PC, which takes up a hefty amount
of HD space.Thus far, I still; have 12.46 gigs of HD, but plan to add a
compatible version of iTunes to play loads of music on (i plan to add
most of my music collection to this book).  Furthermore, I plan to
permanently load a version of Street Atlas for use when I'm on the road
and need directions.
And that is only what I've thought of to date.  Odds are that i won't
even half fill the drive before I end up replacing it with a new iBook,
but I am still using the book as best as I can just the same.>

No, I don't think you're being condescending -- and I suppose I should
have added smileys or some form of disclaimer or "apology in advance"
type phrasing in that post of mine because *I* hadn't meant to come off
as nasty, smart-ass or condescending to ANYONE in here, in any way. If
that IS how it looked, I profoundly apologize to you, Brian, and
everybody else in here who saw it that way. The truth is, about 98-99% of
the time I DO think before I post to a group (and check my post to make
sure it's polite; editing it if I'm not sure), but this time I didn't.
Truthfully,  I was just so INCREDULOUS to see yet another person who had
what IMO was an impossibly humongous amount of HD space mentioning plans
to practically sextuple it and  I just "went off at the mouth" -- or
should I say keyboard.  I simply couldn't imagine why anybody --  not
just the fellow in question -- would need all that space. Again I
apologize for being a jerk, I assure you it was inadvertent.

Disclaimer!: I don't mean to condescend to anyone now any more than I did
last night, this is just a description of my own computer usage,
attitudes and opinions, to explain why I was so incredulous/shocked by
all this need for tons of HD space.  Here goes: I don't use apps like
Photoshop, play computer games or do anything musical with either of my
computers, nor do I use any MicroBorg (but I thought THAT at least put me
in the majority on a Mac PB list -- guess not huh?  ha ha) -- apps which
I *have* heard eat up a lot of HD space...Though the "uses up tons of HD
space" isn't why I don't use them: I just have no interest in Photoshop
(I'm not artistically talented or into picture taking at all), playing
computer games (just don't care for that) or getting/listening to music
with the computer (I'm something of an old fart and happy with my record
and tape collection; don't like what passes for music these days). Lastly
I find Mac apps much easier to use than MicroBorg, who I hate anyway.

Well, obviously mistakenly, I'd thought that if a person could
word-process, do email, web surf, chat and run utilities when needed, all
of which I can do on my PB's tiny little 500-something MB HD and still
have room to spare, well, those to me seemed the "portable necessities."
My PB isn't my "main computer" (the 7200 on my desk is, and any work I do
on the PB gets transferred to the 7200 when I get home) so maybe that's
another reason I don't need tons of HD space on the PB. Rather, the PB
just to take with me when I go out of town and want to do a few things
like write, check/reply to my email, look up something on the web or see
if any of my Net buddies are online and chat with them a bit if they are.
But perhaps, and I didn't think of this either -- for some folks, their
PBs ARE their "main computers?" In which case, it DOES make sense to have
more HD space on them, no matter what apps they're into. I mean, if I had
to transfer ONLY my MOST important apps and data from my 7200 to my PB, I
wouldn't have room on the PB with that tiny little HD!  :-)

OK, I really and truly hope my apologies are accepted and now you know
were I was coming from when I took off like that last night.

~Yersinia.