In a message dated 1/25/2004 10:36:22 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> No, I don't think you're being condescending -- and I suppose I should
> have added smileys or some form of disclaimer or "apology
> in advance"

No worries, I didn't take any offense at all.  There was a time when I would have a
agreed with you, and I'm far from an old fart.  My 1400 is definately not my main
computer. My "main" computer right now is a Compaq presario tower, but that decreases
everyday as my iMac gathers more and more data I use in normal daily use.  generally I
use the 1400 for writing this list, since it's version of AOL doesn't support all the
crap that makes the newer versions of AOL incompatitble with this list.  Also, my job
is one where I sit around in my car all day long with nothing much to do.  While I do
have a CD player in the Car, I also tend to spend alot of time at relative's house
during the week since driving from home to work is over double the distance than from
there.  So, if I have my music loaded on the 1400 I can plug in my headphones and
chill out listening to my music before I hit the sack.  I have much music that's
newer, but I ahve extremely eclectic tastes, which results in much much music for me
that I like.  To put it another way, though many people say this, I truly mean it- my
music likes cover everything from Mozart to Metallica and then some.  It's easier to
just say what I DON'T like- most country and rap, although there are exceptions to
that.  I don't have much use for this computer for business needs, but seeing as I got
the laptop for $112, I couldn't resist it.  One MORE thing: I have an obsession with
taking things apart and trying to improve them, which means I keep busy constantly
upgrading the computers I have, when I'm not busy filling my time with my other
equally eclectic hobbies.
In any event, despite the fact that it's not my "main" computer, it does see alot of
use, until I finally get myself a new iBook, and nearly everything I do will got to
that computer.  One of the few things that is left for the PC to do is music: yes, the
macs do iTunes, but the PC has a program called Smart Music loaded, which acts as
accompaniment for me when I play music (as in a musical instrument).  Once that goes
on the iBook, the only use the PC will have will be Games.  The iMac will most likely
stay that the relative's house where I stay during the week, and I haven't decided
what I'm going to do with the 1400.
After rambling so much, I'll finally get back to the point.  It may seem superfluous
to have so much space, or other similar traits to a computer (my powerbook is also
upgraded to a G3 processor), all this added power adds to the usability to the
computer.  The more I can do, the more the computer is worth it to me.
Brian