I use MS Office 98 on my 3400 running 8.6 and on my 12in. G3.  It is
relatively fast on both.  I don't know what changes to 98 were made when
going to 2001.  Upgrading the amount of RAM may be the answer if you can.
Adding more memory for the application may help also.  Be sure the other end
saves things in an earlier version format so that you can open them easily.
I would opt first for more memory for the app and then more RAM if
possible.  I don't think a processor upgrade is warranted if all you want to
do is use MS Office.  Maybe 2001 is too much for that machine.  I don't
think I used MS Office 98 on a 5300, but I may have.

Dan in AZ