> I have a slew of older PBs, ranging from a mint PB 100 to a PB 1400 (G3-333
> upgraded). I am thinking of getting a "newer" 'Book, and am leaning seriously
> towards a 3400. Specifically, what a the real advantages of the 3400 over the
> my upgraded 1400 (64MB RAM, OS 9.1)? I only plan on spending several hundred
> bucks, so the 3400 seems like the logical progression. Of course, I am
> keeping  my 1400, as well. The 3400 seems like a really great PB from
> everything I have
> read, so I would like to hear more about it.

IMHO, there's two advantages that I've found of the 3400 over a G3-based
1400: it takes more RAM (up to 144MB), and it's at least somewhat
Cardbus-capable (see

        http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro/Cardbus/Cardbus.html

). On the other hand, a G3-based 1400 (especially a 333MHz+ one) would
probably eat the 3400 for lunch w/r/t raw performance, even factoring in
the 3400's 40MHz bus speed. It would be interesting to see the numbers.

 Cameron Kaiser, Floodgap Systems Ltd * So. Calif., USA * [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- Workers of the world, stand up! You have nothing to lose but your chairs. --