Drew Kershaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>The trackpad mechanism itself may be swappable, but I'm pretty sure
>that it isn't.  I believe the 5x0 series used a 1st generation
>trackpad, the 5300 a 2nd generation trackpad, and the 190, 2300, and
>1400 all used a 3rd generation trackpad.  The connectors on each
>should be unique.  Anyone with a 5300 and a 500 series care to take a
>look?

Yes, the 500 and 5300 TPs should be swappable (same PCB part number,
chips and connector.) Haven't done it myself though, at least not that I
can recall. :-)

The 2300, 190, 3400, Kanga and Wallstreet pads should all be
interchangable (exactly the same-shape PCB and same connector.) I've used
3400 TPs in 2300 and 190 TPs in 3400. The 2300's pad is the only one
that's _not_ 'tappable'.

Wallstreet's TP is nearly identical, but its PCB's model number is TM1002
vs. model TM1001 on the earlier TP (with one chip having a similar PN
difference.) I've not used a WS TP in other 'Books so I can't say for
sure if it'd work or not, though I bet it would.

hth,

Dan K

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700