Preliminary--Useful details on how to use flash memory were found on LowEndMac's PowerBook site. The only significant information missing, at least to me, is that just about any flash memory module will fit into readily available PCMCIA memory card adapters. All memory modules I have tried work.

There's another whole level of "cool factor" here that most people have never discovered. ANY device that can implement the ATA/IDE protocol can be used as a storage volume in the PC card slot with a suitable connector. That includes virtually any flash memory module that has a PC card type adapter, most IDE hard drives, etc. Even CD-ROM drives can be used (though the do require additional Mac OS drivers). But it is pretty cool to hook up a hard drive to the PC card slots for portable external expansion.

LowEndMac indicates that it is possible to boot on some PBs from a memory module but, so far, I haven't been able to get any of my PBs to boot from a memory module.

That's because the LEM article is incomplete and composed from information mostly gleaned from this forum! ;-)

To boot from a flash module, you must write Mac OS Disk Drivers to the module using Drive Setup. Most people just insert the module and use the Finder's "Erase Disk" menu option to initialize it as a Mac OS volume. That will make it readable by Mac OS as an HFS(+) volume, but it won't make it bootable. Booting requires the disk drivers, and only Drive Setup can write those.

FWIW, I use a 256MB CF card in my 5300/digital picture frame as the boot volume. I've removed the hard drive, so there are no longer any moving parts. The picture frame is COMPLETELY SILENT! I've also got a 333MB PCMCIA ATA flash card that works wonders (but is currently used as a ridiculously large storage module for my Newton MessagePad 130 - All the books you could ever want!).

I believe all PowerBooks with PC card slots can be booted from a PC card storage device. That is, all PowerBooks up to the Lombard, Pismo, and G4. Apple changed the design of newer PowerBooks, and booting no longer works from PC cards, IIRC. Can the 500 series be booted from PC cards? Anyone know?

Peace,
Drew

--

Author of ClassicStumbler email: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> web: <http://www.alksoft.com/>