Dan writes,

<You can find the 7.5.3 full install floppies and 7.5.5
upgrade floppies both for free from Apple's own website.>

Okay, cool, now that you mention the free 7.5.3 and 7.5.5 upgrades,
here's something I've been meaning to post to the list for the last
couple of days. Vital stats:

PowerBook 190
OS 7.5.2
8 MB RAM.

I already have the aforementioned free downloads. I want to take my PB to
7.5.5 so I can do a printer port network with my 7200 (a slow means of
backing up the PB so I've heard on here, but it'll do for me), and I know
that I have to do this upgrade in a 2-step process: go to 7.5.3 first,
and then bring it up to 7.5.5. I downloaded the upgrades on my 7200 and
used the Disk Copy utility to make the two floppies of 7.5.3. The utility
told me that the Make Floppy operation was successful on both of them.

The problem:

The PB reads the disks perfectly well, but 7.5.3 will not install. It
says that my system "can not be upgraded," even though I was sure to
specify that I wanted the installation to go on the HD. When it first
pops up after clicking "agree" on the software agreement, it shows the
7.5.3 floppy and I have to "switch disk" to tell the computer I want to
do the upgrade on the HD. Yet in the "About 7.5.3 Rev 2" document, it
says that the upgrade is for, among other Macs, PBs with OS 7.5.2 and
Enabler 1.2 or higher (my Enabler is 1.2.4 so I think that qualifies).
And, yes, I also followed the "About" document's instructions of going
into the Extensions Manager and making sure it was set to 7.5.2 before I
attempted the upgrade.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

~Yersinia.