>I can't see why not. I've gotten floppies which were IBM formatted and
>was able to Mac format them easily with the "Erase Disk" function applied
>to the floppies in question. So I don't see why Drive Setup used to
>similarly format an IBM formatted HD should be any less effective.

The "erase disk" function can change a floppy from IBM to Mac (or back)
because there is only one format, namely that of a "flat" (i.e.,
unpartitioned) file system.

The same is almost true of a hard disk which is already in Mac format ...
it can be changed from HFS to HFS+ (and back) ... but not to IBM (or
back).

Changing a hard disk from IBM to Mac requires Drive Setup, which will
properly initialize the first five or six partitions to include the boot
partition, the various hard disk driver partitions, the patch partition,
etcetera, and, of course, the special recovery blocks, none of which are
present in the same way on an IBM-formatted disk.

Those Mac-specific partitions are already present on an HFS-formatted
hard disk, so "erase disk" can easily make the conversion to HFS+ (or
back).

"Erase disk" can change the characteristics of the *only* partition on a
disk (the floppy case), or the *selected* partition on a disk (the hard
disk case) ... it cannot change an IBM-formatted (and partitioned) disk
to a Mac-formatted (and partitioned) disk.