ACFX44501 writes,

<Changing a hard disk from IBM to Mac requires Drive Setup, which will
properly initialize the first five or six partitions to include the boot
partition, the various hard disk driver partitions, the patch partition,
etcetera, and, of course, the special recovery blocks, none of which are
present in the same way on an IBM-formatted disk.

Those Mac-specific partitions are already present on an HFS-formatted
hard disk, so "erase disk" can easily make the conversion to HFS+ (or
back).

"Erase disk" can change the characteristics of the *only* partition on a
disk (the floppy case), or the *selected* partition on a disk (the hard
disk case) ... it cannot change an IBM-formatted (and partitioned) disk
to a Mac-formatted (and partitioned) disk.>

Hmmmm. Come to think of it -- oh, I am really getting senile here, as
this is fairly recent -- I actually DID use Drive Setup to format a 2 GB
HD for Mac, which I assume had to have been IBM formatted when I got it.
I assume this because it was used, coming from my boyfriend's Mac free
workplace. Someone was going to throw it out, he snagged it and gave it
to me. Anyway, what actually happened was, once he installed the HD and I
gave it a proper SCSI address, my Mac said "This disk cannot be read by
this Macintosh." Which was not really a surprise, and was also what known
IBM formatted floppies used to give me when I inserted them, although I
knew they had to be Mac formatted before I could use them. My first move
was to run the Erase Disk function on the new HD, but all that
accomplished was offering me a choice of "Macintosh 1.2 GB Standard" or
"Extended" formats. With Drive Setup, however, I was able to pick 1.9 GB
Extended format, which I did, wanting to get the most space possible out
of the new HD.

Anyway, the formatting worked out just fine, and the HD has been serving
me well.

Now if only my Disk Doctor and Speed Disk would work on it.  ::::sigh::::

~Yersinia.