> > I first thought the Ethernet port on the 520 would be bust, but local
> > connectivity seems to indicate otherwise. Am I missing anything
> > obvious???
> > How to proceed to troubleshoot this one??
>
> If you're using static IP addresses it has to either be corrupted
> TCP/IP prefs on the failing machine *or* the gateway address and/or the
> network mask are set wrong. ISTR that they have to be set manually in
> 8.1; they won't get the addresses from the DHCP server.
>
> I'd wager on the latter, I'd bet, if you're using static addresses. If
> it's the latter, just trash the prefs file and set it up again. I've
> had that happen on occasion.

I've tried over and over, checked the manual settings, trashed the TCP/IP
prefs, done the manual settings again, I've also tried to trash TCP/IP
prefs and the MacTCP DNR pane and replace them with copies from another
machine that connects just fine. No success. I add a recap of the symptoms
in the hope that someone might spot some potential cause. I'm back
thinking of a possible hardware fault.

- WLAN set with static IP address for each machine
- 520 with OS 8.1 connects fine to other machines in the WLAN
- 520 won't connect to remote hosts and websites (can't resolve names,
made me think that it was problem of communication with the router which
is also set as Name Server)
- tried also to connect with NiftyTelnet SSH to a remote host using the
remote host IP address and it won't connect either. Same trying to load
websites using their IP address rather tnah the URL.
- other similar machines with identical settings connect ok.

anything else to try short of replacing the mobo?

cheers, gianfranco