> The logic boards are identical between the 520/540 series. Certainly
> swapping in known-good LB is an excellent test. However, I'd try some
> easier things first (one thing at a time of course), swapping the HD,
> the ram, the processor, etc.

> I also forget the exact problem - did you say Appletalk _does_ work,
> but that TCP/IP does not? Or am I confused at usual. :-)  _If_ that is
> the case (not the my-being-confused part! :-), it's almost certainly a
> software issue.

OK, I did all the swapping possible according to the suggestions of Dan
and Bruce, the problem still persists. (Problem: one out of three 520/540
PBs, same OS 8.1, same settings, does not get an IP address correctly from
a D-Link DI-624+ router set to distribute static IP address. It connects
however OK to other machines in the WLAN from the chooser)

Last steps I've done:
- swapped HD, RAM, daughtercard with parts from one of the working PBs
(one part at at time and also all the parts together)
- replaced the motherboard with another one known to be working (at least
a couple of years ago): same symptoms
- downgraded to OS 7.5.5 to replicate the original settings that made the
original PowerBook work fine some years ago: no luck
- checked a million times that no typos exist in the router setup of
static DHCP: no typos that I can see
- still the faulty machine can be pinged and accessed by another machine
in the WLAN and responds ok, but does not respond to a ping from the
router
- changed the router to operate as dynamic DHCP server: the one PowerBook
does NOT get an IP address, all others do.

So, either I have 2 slightly faulty motherboards with the same subtle
problem (I deem this as higly improbable, considering that one of them
has been working correctly for many years before being shelved) or an
abscure problem of different nature (software?) hinders the
communication between the router and the Ethernet hardware in these cases.

Thinking about obscurities, perhaps a problem when entering some
carachters of a MAC address in the router configuration iof the
web interface, or that the MAC address of the machine is
reported corrupted when reading it from TCP/IP control panel -> Get Info.
Any other way to get this address? 0S 8.1 system profiler does not report
it.

Other than this, I'm ready to give up on the issue, but would try
out any other suggestions, if any!

cheers, gianfranco