In a message dated 7/25/2004 5:58:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>>Howdy,
>>
>>I have a 1400 I'd like to try a DVD drive with some driver software for OS
>>8.6. Is there anything available other than a SCSI DVD?
>>
>>TIA,
>>Ken N.
>>
>_____________________________________________________________________________
______________________________

>We had a discussion on the PCI Macs list about DVD drives  One lister
>said he did get one to work with a lot of labor and thought.
>
>If this is difficult on an upgraded PCI Legacy Mac it must be
>downright envelope busting on a 1400.
>
>I will follow this with great interest. I have a 1400 myself.

Hi,

I have a 1400 that I was going to attempt to make work with a DVD drive. I
decided a few days ago to try to make a 1400c/ G3 400mhz work w/ a DVD-R drive
in the expansion bay.

I have a 1400 Sonnet G3/400 that a relative was using, but they have moved up
to a Wallstreet. Then a few months ago, I bought a 3rd party CD-R/DVD-R
slot-loading drive for my Lombard 400mhz. The seller had problems with the order,
and to make up for the mishap I was sent two. I put one of the drives in a
cd-rom carrier for the Lombard, and it works just fine...

So with the extra one, I am going to try to get it working in the 1400.

Getting the DVD drive itself to fit inside the Cd-rom carrier from a 12x (the
only one U can use, from what I have read!) should not be a problem. However,
one source stated that the fastest processor possible should probably be
used; a G3 for certain. A G2 probably will not be fast enough to deal with a DVD,
so I have been told...

Craig W.
Atlanta, GA
Power corrupts. Absolute power's a blast. ­- John Fund