>>Was it the bandwidth, or the fact that Nubus mobos are so different from
PCI
>>mobos? Admittedly I am a super-novice when it comes to the more technical
>>stuff, but I thought the point was that since cardbus was made for PCI,
and nubus
>>was around long before PCMCIAs or Cardbus, that cardbus could ONLY work on
>>Nubus mobo if the requisite adapter was made and/or someone made a 16-bit
>>Cardbus card, and no one (allegedly) did?

You would need a CardBus controller designed to operate on the NuBus
architecture, and no one created such an animal. Doing so wasn't
cost-effective because by the time CardBus came into vogue, Apple had
already embraced PCI in the 2400 and 3400. The only possible application for
a NuBus CardBus controller chip would have been in the 1400. It could have
been done, since the NuBus is actually a 32-bit bus (the first 32-bit
expansion bus ever used, in fact), but by 1996, the NuBus was on its way
out.

There's no such thing as a 16-bit CardBus card, that is impossible. CardBus
is a 32-bit protocol all the way. 16-bit PCMCIA cards are just 16-bit PCMCIA
cards, never CardBus, although CardBus controllers are backward-compatible
with them.

>>I believe the concessus (on the website I found) was that the 1400 should
be
>>able to support a CD-R, and even a DVD-R, like with my drive.
>>1st of all, I do not even know if the DVD card (from Wallstreets and
>>Lombards) will work in the 1400. It is cardbus or PCMCIA?

WallStreet and Lombard DVD cards are CardBus and will not work in a 1400.
I'm not even sure they work in a Kanga hacked for CardBus support.

>>Secondly, I read about a mod that worked w/ a DVD drive in a 1400, but the
>>picture when showing a movie was s-l-o-w and jerky... BUT the user only
had a
>>183mhz PPC upgraded 1400. I have a 400mhz processor...

A G3-400 should be able to play the DVD in a 1400 if you can get it working,
but I would be willing to bet it won't be perfect. Between the RAM
limitation, the 32-bit memory bus and the 33 MHz processor bus, you have a
lot of bottlenecks there and all of them will show up in DVD playback.
That's why even the 466 MHz G3 for the 1400 can't stay with a much slower
Lombard most of the time.