Please correct me if I am wrong but shouldn't the control strip (and the control panel) show 640x480 as well as 800x600? I only get 800x600 as the available resolution and this cannot use thousands since 512 mb is not enough for 800x600. Also at some point there was only 832x624 available inspite this being only a 800x600 screen. Twilight zone?

640x480 should show up... maybe the confusion is caused by the lack of VRAM.

Was there anyone successful in soldering the additional 512 vram on the motherboard? I do have a dead 5300ce board on which I believe the vram (and ram) is intact. I was also thinking on soldering the additional ram on the board thus increasing system ram. Any success stories here?

Regards,
Boris

Hmm.... Dan, was that you that tried this ?

Mad Dog