OK, I've tried both screens on both machines:

c screen + c base = works
c screen + cs base = dark screen (faint image but no backlight)
cs screen + cs base = completely dead screen
cs screen + c base = negative image - odd colours, black and white reversed

In summary, the known good screen and known good machine put together work perfectly, which suggests I'm not doing anything too wrong when I'm installing the screens. Any other combination fails to works correctly.

So are all these screens and machines compatible? Is there any need and/or any way to reset the machine's display preferences for the new screen? I've tried trashing the Display Preferences file from the System Folder but it makes no difference. Any ideas?