In a message dated 9/12/04 5:47:33 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>As both LCDs work with the 1400c, that suggests the problem with my
>dead 1400cs is not the screen but somewhere on the motherboard.
>Anyone know if this is fixable?

Fixable? Yes. But it may be more cost efficient to get another 166mhz
laptop/motherboard from Ebay or the Swap List...

>If not I'll swap the memory board and (bigger) hard drive to the
>working 1400c. I tried to remove the hard drive earlier, but after
>taking out the two obvious screws it still doesn't want to come out.
>Is there anything else I need to undo first?

The ribbon HD cable connects the HD to the mobo on the left side of the HD.
It is tucked in under the plastic border of the bay. When you pull the HD up,
on the left you'll see the orange ribbon. Try to CAREFULLY work the ribbon
downward, out from the plastic it is tucked into. After that, carefully remove the
connector from the HDs pins.

While you're at it, you might as well go on a fool's errand(!) and check to
see if the 117mhz unit's mobo can in fact handle a 166mhz processor. Some
117/133mhz mobos were alledged to be able to...

Looking under the heatsink, in the RAM/processor bay, look at the two chips
on the mobo between the processor connectors, and the RAM connectors. If the
chips have "XXXX203 LOW" and "XXXXX204 HIGH" then it cannot handle a 166mhz
processor.

But if the numbers above are in the 300's instead of the 200's, then you can
use the 166mhz processor with the C's motherboard.

Craig W.
The Hot'Lanta Texan