This was a trip; at least for me...

Today, I ventured into my local, new Frys Electronics in Atlanta, GA, looking
for a Cardbus 802.11b that can run on Windoze 98 for a laptop I put together
for a friend. Found one...

Went to the help desk in the wireless section, to verify that the card was in
fact Cardbus (there's NO set rule on the use of the terms "PC card" and
"PCMCIA," huh?); the salesman said "Of course its 32-bit; finding a 16-bit wifi
card would be the real trick!"

I was like "Really? There is a demand for them?" He said "oh yeah! Lots of
people w/ old laptops cannot make them wireless."

I said "Hey, I use one in an old Apple laptop I use..." and was just about to
turn him onto Proxims and Orinocos.... BUT I DID NOT EVEN GET TO FINISH THE
SENTENCE!

He blurted out "Macs? *laugh* No, no... these people use PCs. Mac wifi cards
would be of no use...!"

In spite of the fact that ALL of the 16-bit wifi cards I use have WinDoze
software also, I nodded in "agreement," thanked him and moved on...

Craig W.
Atlanta, GA
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause
and reflect."   ---Samuel Clemens

* Written on a WiFi'd, Powerbook 550c/183mhz (probably at "Starbucks"
gee-whizzing the local PC geeks...).