Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> replied to my question about getting a 5300ce connected to the Internet. Thanks Dan. This is precisely the kind of information I was looking for.

- Larry

Dan wrote:
 The Platinum Pro PC Card is a dual-interface adapter.  33 Kbps modem
 on the RJ-11 port and a 10Base (10 Mbps) ethernet NIC on the RJ-45.

 http://modems.globalvillage.com/support/powerport-platinum-pro.html

 http://www.google.com/search?q=Global+Village+PowerPort+Platinum+Pro

 You need driver software.  The above URLs may point to it.  If only
 "updaters" are available, then you'll need to obtain the original
 software from the seller.

 Once you get the GV card working...

 Create several "Locations", using the Location Manager control panel.
 One for home, that uses the ethernet with your home TCP/IP and
 AppleTalk configuration.  One for hotel LANs that uses the ethernet
 with their configuration (whatever that may be; the point being that
 changing this particular set-up doesn't damage your home "location"
 configuration).  And one for dial-up.

 You select which "location" is active from the Control Strip.  This
 automatically switches all the settings around, as you specify.
 There are good help docs on your mac and in Apple's kbase for doing
 this.

 Tip: If you use AppleTalk / filesharing at home, be sure to change it
 to Remote Only or OFF in your other "locations".  That way you stay
 secure and your machine won't "lock up" now and then while AppleTalk
 goes nutz trying to find the network!

 Tip: Make sure, in your TCP/IP control panel, that you include a
 search domain.  Then you can use "local" or "stub" computer names in
 your applications.  eg: At home, I'm on Comcast, so in my TCP/IP
 control panel, I include a search domain of "comcast.net".  Then in
 Eudora, I simply use "smtp" as the outgoing mail server.  The system
 knows to look for "smtp.comcast.net".  When I leave home, and use
 dial-up, I'm on Earthlink.  In my "On Dial-Up" location, I specify a
 search domain of "earthlink.net".  No changes to Eudora!  It just now
 magically looks for smtp.earthlink.net...

 HTH,
 - Dan.