At 01:56 PM -0700 10/08/2004, Mac wrote:
Although I didn't do conclusive testing to proove it
(if that is even possible),  I have the distinct
impression that all these browsers on my macs are more
stable, freeze & crash less, when Flash is not
installed.  Anyone else have this impression or is it
just a figment?

Not a figment. A proven fact, IMO. :)

Back when iCab 2.9.8 was first released, I did some comparison testing using both iCab and Moz. In addition to the speed problem, there are definately memory leak and stack corruption bugs in the Flash plug-in. I sent full bug reports, including stdlogs, to Macromedia, covering 7 versions of Flash, from 5.0r41 to 7.0r19.

iCab has other animation refresh issues with Flash, so I only have the plug-in installed for Moz currently. In general, I try to quit Moz as soon as I've finished with a Flash site.

Flash's problems aren't limited to the plug-in. We have purchased several Flash-based games from Macromedia. Geeze are they buggy! You can watch them chew memory with "About this Macintosh" and Memory Mapper... As you play, they eat more and more memory. They get slower and slower, stop responding to key presses, and eventually freeze up. They crash OS 9 with a stack corruption. They hang Classic under Panther. And when run natively, they'll freeze Panther itself. ...I've noticed also the PC version of one of the games we bought will BSOD our Dell laptop. So I guess that means the problem is that Macromedia writes crap in general, not just for the Mac...

FWIW,
- Dan.