On Oct 26, 2004, at 4:33 AM, PowerBooks wrote:

Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:43:48 -0400
Subject: 1400 capabilities
From: Brian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

So, I take it no one with an un-accellerated 1400 has tried playing mp3's or wireless?

My stock 1400c plays mp3's just fine. Haven't tried wireless, but I believe others have.

or combined the two with iTunes?

Dunno about that either, but not even an upgraded 1400 can use OSX, just too much memory requirement. So you'd be limited to a older OS9 version of iTunes, at best.

My experience is that it will play MP3's and some MPEG movies, but not DVD;s, it will play most music and video which QT 4 will handle, but it will not load and use modern Adobe PDF and Java stuff. It will _never_ be able to use any USB nor Firewire products (it uses the old nuBus hardware architecture, which itself is not upgradable to cardbus architecture).

I tend to look at a 1400 and older PB's in terms of a few dedicated programs which it can do well. I like using mine with HyperCard stack projects I create, and others as well. With the right software it will work with network printers, and it's really quite a good email machine. Things like that.

HTH,
Ken N.