Have you tried positioning the arrow using only one finger on the trackpad and then leaving the arrow there and clicking? I use my right thumb to click and hold and then my right index finger to drag, sometimes using strokes. But for accurate positioning of the arrow point, simply moving the arrow wherever you want it and then leaving it there (it will not move) gives me great accuracy. Have you ever tried to deal with a skittering Mocrosoft mouse in Windows? Any Mac trackpad has that beaten by a mile. On my older desktops I used to use a plug-in trackpad. and I have also used trackballs.

On Nov 23, 2004, at 3:31 PM, PowerBooks wrote:

Subject: Trackpad vs. Mouse (was Re: 5300c question)
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:23:48 -0500
From: Yersinia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Bruce Johnson writes,
[snip]
I do have to admit that in the beginning, I had to "make myself" learn
to use the trackpad, and it wasn't exactly easy -- after all those years
on exclusive mouse use -- but the reason why I persisted was because most
of the places I use my Powerbook there aren't any comfortable and
convenient places for a mouse, and then I'd have to bring a mouse PAD,
too. So I forced myself to learn to use the trackpad.

I still like a mouse better than a trackpad, but in my year and a half or
so with my Powerbook I've gotten okay with the trackpad. My only
"problem" with the trackpad is very minor really -- I can't position the
cursor (or arrow) exactly where I want it as quickly with the trackpad as
I can with a mouse. [snip]

Okay, listers -- other than Bruce and I here who like our trackpads
enough not to use mice with our Powerbooks, do you prefer trackpads or
mice? Do any of you actually take your mice with you when you go out with
your Powerbooks?!

~Yersinia.