Hi have you reset everything back to the factory defaults then tried that. I know when i tried doing what you want to with my g3 and my 3400 i ended up downloading ipnet router worked wonders, but i could not afford the licence, and it was cheaper to buy a wired/wireless router. I went for the Netgear. since then i have upgraded my macs and still use the Netgear to connect all my Macs to my cable modem via wireless card's. if i ever drop a connection i just hook up to one of the ethernet ports on the Netgear and reset everything.

current macs are G4 emac Latest model with airport extreme, Ibook 14.1 with airport 3400c with pro wirless card using ioxperts drivers, 1400 (backup mac) using Orinoco card, and my latest edition is a 500PPc This goes in through ethernet as the pcmcia revision c cards are about a easy to fined as a set of brass balls for the poor monkey on a cold day. (but still looking) .

vicki