AND in order for SSL SMTP connections to work, it seems you have to have keychains turned on, even in OS 9.1. I hadn't bothered with keychains.

I meant to add, I think it was the lack of keychains that was causing the 5.1 SSL to fail, too.

once I set things up for SSL, there was no further error notice, but messages just would not send. Without keychains, there was no place for the SSL key to be stored.

Some error being announced would have been helpful....