Many thanks to those who offered their insight on my browser issue, all good advice!

The consensus seems to be that Mozilla is slow, though improves on the old Netscrape.
I'll sniff out all suggestions/links (forgot all about iCab! oops) and let you know how it turns out.

Your suggestion that I upgrade to OSX is well taken, Bruce. However, I've been upgrading hardware, Operating Systems, and software constantly since 1987. Working in the graphics/design field, I use the following apps almost every day:

Photoshop, InDesign, Freehand (and Illustrator), Pagemaker (and Quark Xpress), Vectorworks, ClarisCAD (still rocks!), UpFront, DesignWorkshop, Acrobat and many more, all in OS9.2.2. Some of these aren't even available for OSX, some run only in Classic Mode (sorta like running Windows 3.1 over DOS I reckon), and a few of the apps I rely on are now orphaned/abandoned, yet I'd be lost without them.

When OSX came along shortly after I invested in my G4, I dug in my heels: this new OS would require me to upgrade virtually everything, if I wanted to take advantage of it, which would cost me literally thousands of dollars. I've poured money into Apple for long enough, and decided I'd try to get some of it back out of my system! I figure I can nurse this heap along for another few years, before it becomes embarrassing, running OS9 and versions no more recent than 2003.

In a few years, who knows what will have emerged? Hopefully, my design skills still intact, I can look into a whole new system/software, if I'm so inclined. Maybe I'll get lucky, and my job will involve hand-sanding boats on the beach in Portugal (skills which transfer readily to applying tanning cream to wholesome feminine sunbathers, should the need arise). I may have to cave in, and adapt to a new OS one more time : ) I hear many good things about OSX; I wonder if an old dog like me can tailor it to look and feel like the classic GUI ...?

I must go and rent Buckaroo Banzai again, it's been too long . . .

I'm not sure Netscape is still evolving. Has it improved in the last few years?
Mozilla seems to be a work in progress.

Mozilla/Netscape (they're the same code base) has been a good stable browser since about version 0.8 (which was Netscape 6.2)
It's vastly improved over the old 4.x versions of Netscape.
The last version running on OS 9, Mozilla 1.2 (iirc) was quite stable for me, so long as I fed it enough memory. IIRC I gave it like 48 megs.
There's a build of Mozilla 1.3.1 called Wamcom that is also nice, though it's oddly slow in places; but it's based on a later version of Mozilla that offers a lot of goodies.
Why not upgrade to OS X? Firefox and Safari are VERY good on it.--
"Wherever you go, there you are." - B. Banzai, Ph.D.
Bruce Johnson