Bill,

What I have done to get a new OS on my PB170 was to boot with Gamba's
RAMdisk booter, which boots the PowerBook into System 7.5, installs a
RAMdisk, copies System 7.5 files to it, and then switches to the RAMdisk
as the boot disk.  The floppy is then ejected, and since the PB is running
from RAMdisk, you can use the floppy drive to install an OS of your choice
on the PB's hard drive.

Contact me off-line if you need a copy of this great utility, because I
don't think it's available any more from Gamba's web-site.

     Rob