It's pretty stupid to get a faster laptop on my slow connection speed. Anybody use their 1400 as their major Internet computer. If so,
what browser is advised.

Actually, not quite true. Web sites now have so much crud in them that the rendering time to parse all the stuff and make the formatted page is a pretty slow task on older machines. Sure, your dial-up speed is a big bottleneck as well. But I think you'd find it a lot nicer if you put a G3 card and more RAM in the 1400. Not that that is cost-effective at this time.

With laptop prices as low as they are though I'd look at one of the Wallstreets, perhaps, I can't price things on ebay for you at the moment since I'm on my 9.1 1400 and I still haven't a browser that will let ebay work (not MOzilla 1.2.1, not Wacom mozilla, not IE5.1 anyway) (which is yet ANOTHER reason to get a newer laptop, something that can run XP or OS X) but I'd guess the Wallstreet II's would be a good deal and a very capable laptop, with SCSI etc. if you have old peripherals.

Without going to X though for new browsers and other software I think we are going to be left behind pretty quickly. Office98 is still working fine for my needs, but I'm finding the browser issues to be a huge pain.

Hope that helps;

Brian