Hi, all,

With the help of several list members, I got my "new" PB up again, and got OS7.5.3 installed and working. Thanks!

I ran across a Sandisk CompactFlash PC card adapter yesterday, for $12. Since I already had a CF USB adapter for my other machines, I bought it and tried it.

IT WORKS! I now have a 256MB drive on my antique PB190cs, which will make everything much easier in the future (if only I'd found it two weeks ago...). I was concerned, since I had read that large drives needed special software under the older Macs, but OS7.5.3 tells me that 158.8MBis available, and 166.5MB are in use. It's not obvious to me why the Mac thinks there are 325MB on a 256MB card, but maybe it will make sense when I've learned more.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get 7.5.5 loaded so I'll be fully up to date before having to buy OS upgrades. Neither 7.6 nor 8.0 are available for download, so I'll stick with 7.5.5 for a while, now that I have a reasonable transfer mode (those 20 floppies were a real pain!).

I've looked at several PC card network interfaces, and all say either Windows-only or OS9.1 and later on Mac. Anyone have any guidance to offer?

John Perry