On 5/25/05, Fluxstringer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>Has anyone on the list built a Pismo from parts alone.?
> >>

> >If you've got one to sell, you usually make more money selling it in
> >bits than whole.
> >
> >So, I think, it works in reverse, and you'd pay more in bits.
> >
> >Ben
> >--
> ____________________
>
> I used to think the same thing.
>
> However on eBay there seems to be a glut of parts that go down to the
> wire unsold at even dirt cheap prices.
> Not as many people are interested in repairing these ever aging
> jewels so parts go down to the wire unsold even at 99 cents. And
> So therefore as stated;
>
> At 12:15 PM -0400 5/24/05, Fluxstringer wrote:
> >that with patience and some lucky  deals it might be possible to
> >build one from parts at a lower price than buying  a fixer upper and
> >repairing it.
>
> I am more interested in the pitfalls of selecting the correct parts.
> I am not familiar with Pismo construction or the variety of
> components. Differences in Wallstreet construction have come up ij
> the last few days on this list and i was wondering if a similar
> situation exists with the Pismo.
>
> It might take months or a year to get all of the parts for assembly.
> But it might be a fun way to arrive at having an otherwise still
> useful and capable machine that I otherwise would not buy unless my
> income gets a boost.
>
> Low cost and low shipping fees will be key here. But are for nothing
> if I buy the wrong parts.
>
> --
> Adrian

I built my 1400c/166w64MB out of 3 different 1400's and a few misc.
parts I bought off Epay. The complete units  were all in questionable
condition but had the parts I wanted. I now have all the best goodies
I could get in a 1400 and it's exactly what I wanted.

After all was said and done I probably have more $$ in the 1400c than
I could have bought one for because of the extra parts I have
leftover. But I have enough parts to build 2 1400cs/133's in decent
condition and could always sell those off to recoup some $$.

It was a learning experience and a project for me. The shipping costs
can be outrageous on Epay but if you take your time you can get decent
deals and I did buy a few of the wrong parts.

I could have found a 1400c/166 for less than I have in mine but it was
a good experience and I would do it the same again.

I have been toying with the idea of building a Pismo from parts or
parts machines next in the same way.

--
Ron

http://krowmagnum.4mg.com/