SNIP

I built my 1400c/166w64MB out of 3 different 1400's and a few misc.
parts I bought off Epay. The complete units  were all in questionable
condition but had the parts I wanted. I now have all the best goodies
I could get in a 1400 and it's exactly what I wanted.

After all was said and done I probably have more $$ in the 1400c than
I could have bought one for because of the extra parts I have
leftover. But I have enough parts to build 2 1400cs/133's in decent
condition and could always sell those off to recoup some $$.

It was a learning experience and a project for me. The shipping costs
can be outrageous on Epay but if you take your time you can get decent
deals and I did buy a few of the wrong parts.

I could have found a 1400c/166 for less than I have in mine but it was
a good experience and I would do it the same again.

I have been toying with the idea of building a Pismo from parts or
parts machines next in the same way.

--
Ron

My experience is somewhat similar, Ron. I got my first PowerBook 1400 for $10 (including a carrying case and power supply), and it worked like a champ. I then bought a supposedly non-working PB1400 for $6 to get the bookcover (my original did not have it). Found out AFTER bending the pins in the socket that the display cables plug into on the MOBO that it actually did work (although the display was then punked out). Salvaged pieces off that one to repair three more PB1400's that I got for $20, $10, and $5, respectively. So, for $51, I have 4 working Powerbooks and a partial parts machine. Can't complain too much about that.

Ciao,

Winfidel