OK this is just getting weird now... here are the symptoms

so it is continuing to not recognize all the ram, but only sometimes.  about
half the time it boots it shows the "the built in memory test has detected
an error" message during boot process... I cant get it to predictably repeat
this it seems to be totally at random

also, whenever it does do this, it resets my desktop pattern to a bunch of
Styrofoam peanuts

ALSO, when i do a pram reset (command option p r) it shuts off with a
constant green sleep light, at which point it requires a hard reset using
the button in the rear

this is the same PowerBook 1400 that would constantly freeze with the 466mhz
Sonnet card.

what in gods name is going on here???