At 12:52 PM -0400 6/10/05, Erich Zechar wrote:
>Well, my 520c has problems. First, it has what is likely a good
>battery, but I'm not sure. It will charge and run off the battery,
>but if I turn it off or put it to sleep it won't run or boot off it.
>When plugged back in to AC power, it will register the battery as
>dead and recharge it. Is this a problem with the 'book or battery?

        You need to get some software to recondition your battery, if it is
possible.  It really sounds as if your battery is hosed, though.  Still
worth a try.
        Intelligent Battery Recondition (IBR) is better at seeing the
battery that is difficult.  See if it will run its' routine, and IGNORE its
telling you to send the battery back to Apple (also ignore any message by
EMMpathy that it can't repair the microprocessor).  The tests of both IBR
and EMMpathy of the microprocessor of the battery are inordinately
rigorous, and eliminate a lot of chargeable and useable batteries.  Run IBR
a few times, and then see if EMMpathy will run.  If it does, alternate
between it and IBR, and take a look at Smart Probe each time.  This is the
most incredible source of information about your battery going, and will
tell you the capacity of your battery, and whether or not it has any
charging capacity available.
Paul Nelson