On Jun 18, 2005, at 10:27 AM, PowerBooks wrote:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 12:01:39 EDT
Subject: Re: Looking at Powerbooks, need opinions please

I'm currently using a G4 500 B/W, but for mobile work i have a PC Asus
PIII 500. Only trouble is i'd like to swap over to  100% Mac. I need
something that can play movies, dvd's or mpegs. Also it needs to run OS
10.3, so that i can compatibility with my B/W. I've got 10.1 and i've
had no luck networking 10.1 to 10.3

Go for a Lombard 400 MHz with built-in DVD decoder and its accompanying
DVD drive.

DVD playback is flawless, unlike the add-on decoder of the Wallstreet
(any) or the 333 MHz Lombard.

10.3.9 installed flawlessly on my Lombard, unlike the install using
Xpostfacto on my several Wallstreets.

But the Lombard won't play DVD's in OSX, the motherboard decoder isn't supported. If you want to play movies on a Apple portable in OSX, you're looking at a Pismo or iBook. For sheer portability, the iBook is quite nice. For expandibility, the Pismo can't be beat.

---
JSH
TiBook
"The actions of men are the best interpreters of their thoughts."
(John Locke)