At 2:48 AM -0400 6/26/05, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi all,

I've been a PC/Windows guy for many many years, the  sun may not rise
tomorrow because I have bought my first Mac. Powerbook 1400CS.. Only one mouse button? But my real question is: Apples all have a ROM chip.. why? Even Macs without an O/S, I've never seen the dreaded command prompt. What exactly is in
the ROM chip?

Pretty much all computers have ROM, it supplies the code the computer uses to boot up. Traditionally on the Mac the ROM also had a portion of the OS in it. This was done initially to supplement the RAM. The original Mac, the 128K, had 128K RAM and 64K ROM so it was really as if it had 192K of memory. Starting somewhere in the iMac line this ROM became flash memory (firmware) so it could be updated with a software installer.

You can think of Apple ROM as PC BIOS. BIOS has minimal drivers, basically enough to put stuff on the screen and boot from disk.

One mouse button?  Things with more buttons are called keyboards.

Should of  bought an Apple years ago...

Naturally.
--
Clark Martin