On Jun 30, 2005, at 11:26 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Even features which are under 2 hours often produce more than 4.7 GB of
data.

Any specific recommendations as to authoring tools, to produce a DVD
which will actually play?

I've already encountered situations where a player would accept a +R but
not a -R.

And, what to do about the 4.7 GB limitation for a single-layer +/-R?

You have to buy a commercial software that will let you remove "extra" audio modes, extras footage, languages, plus compress the video into a smaller space.

there are no freebie tols for this.

Popcorn (Roxio) and DVD2One (German) have great reviews.

DVD2One is 80 Euros or so, so pretty expensive. It is much faster than Popcorn.

Popcorn can be had from Roxio for $30 if you already own Toast or similar (even an old version). I bought Popcorn. It works well, 7 gig video_ts folder goes to a single layer DVD fine. You can use Popcorn to remove languages, unwanted materials but only if you chose the main feature only. On DVDs that have episodes, the only way to get every episode is to keep all the extra stuff and compress the video. The video compression works well and I can't really see much of a difference in output, which concurs with the reviews I read online.

I've used DVD+R only for playable DVDs and had no compatibility issues or coasters so far.

You can get reviews of both these softwares with a little googling. Hopefuly they will add some versatility to Popcorn, but if you feel wealthy the DVD2One is rated very well.

HTH.

Brian