Hahaha, hi again Listers, it's me with another really dumb question.

Powerbook 5300c is running OS 8.6. The MacOS Help confirmed my memory
that to zap the PRAM, I need to hold down the command-option-P-R keys on
startup, and to rebuild the desktop, on startup I should hold down the
command and option keys. I've just made three attempts on the PRAM
zapping and two on the desktop rebuilding. So.....do any of you have any
ideas on why --

How come my PRAM isn't zapped? I only got the one initial startup
chime...I seem to remember getting repeated chimes until I took my
fingers off the aforementioned keys.

And how come my 5300 didn't ask me if I wanted to rebuild the desktop?

~Yersinia<----feeling seriously foolish....