Ben wrote...
> Suddenly the screen of this PB 100 stopped working.
>
> The PB 100 completes the boot either from the HD or
> the floppy, but
> on the LCD there is nothing, just the backlight ring
> works, while the
> contrast does not change anything.
>
> Ideas?

This is not just one but possibly eight components
that have failed; there are eight electrolytic
capacitors on the back of the screen that age and
leak, and once they do, you get the dark screen. I
have a 100 in the same predicament, and based upon my
digging, this seems to be the fate of most of them;
the screens age and simply stop working.
Replacing the caps shouldn't be that hard, but getting
some of the exact value is. They are 5v 33uF,
poloarized electrolytics. Mouser has them at a higher
voltage, 16v, but I haven't tried it yet. In fact,
I've not met anyone who has.
Should note that Sun Remarketing had PB100 screens for
a while.

Rob

Robert Little
Astronomy & Space Artist

"I have loved the stars too dearly to be fearful of the night..."
Sarah Williams
"The Old Astronomer to His Pupil"