My Reply follows quote. On 19/07/2005 05:38 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>I found a Mac Portable for sale (locally), and plan to buy it.  I know
>it's a little old (:-P), but was wondering two things -
>
>1) Is the monitor port on the back the standard port for all VGA
>monitors?

VGA? Hmmm. The "book" says:

     Using an external display
          With a video adapter, you can display what's on the
          Macintosh Portable screen on an external video device
          (a Macintosh II monitor or a television monitor, for
          example). See the documentationsupplied with your video
          adapter to learn more about its operation and capabilities.

And the "pin outs" are:

          Video-out port
     Pin number Signal name Signal description
     1 FPDATA(0) Flat panel display data bus (bit 0)
     2 FPDATA(1) Flat panel display data bus (bit 1)
     3 +5 V +5 volts DC
     4 FPDATA(2) Flat panel display data bus (bit 2)
     5 FPDATA(3) Flat panel display data bus (bit 3)
     6 FPDATA(4) Flat panel display data bus (bit 4)
     7 GND Ground
     8 +5 V + 5 volts DC
     9 GND Ground
     10 FPDATA(5) Flat panel display data bus (bit 5)
     11 FPDATA(6) Flat panel display data bus (bit 6)
     12 FPDATA(7) Flat panel display data bus (bit 7)
     13 Batt_voltage Direct connect to main battery
     14 FLM Flat panel new frame sync
     15 CL 2 / Flat panel display data clock

Doesn't look like VGA, but I really don't know much about VGA port
standards.

>and
>
>2) How much would it cost to rebuild a battery?

Depends on how you do it. I cut apart the original (took the
top off), pulled out the "guts", bought a similar sized
lead acid battery at "Batteries Plus", shaved it down a bit
and stuck it in the original case. Modified the original contacts
and clipped them to the new terminals. Worked. Not too pretty,
but it did work. Played with the machine for a bit, but the
hard drive died. Now I have three or four in the same condition!

I think I paid $30 for the new battery. I think they are still
sold for use in emergency lights and such.