On Sep 16, 2005, at 8:08 AM, Andrew Kershaw wrote:

The 550c has ethernet. IIRC, the Mac OS 8 CD would allow access to AppleTalk networks (either over serial ports or over Ethernet). So, if you've got a second Mac w/ a CD-ROM drive, it would be easy to set up a simple network to install whichever version of the OS you want to install.

There is no Appletalk software on the target system to allow this, so this won't work quite like this.

Bruce,

She said that there's a copy of the OS 8 install CD's system folder on the hard drive. I guess I assumed she's booting from that.

Missed that part, oops.

If so, doesn't that system folder have AppleTalk and a subset of OT installed? I'm pretty sure that when you boot from CD, you can still access your AppleTalk network.

I'm not sure...I'd have to find my OS 8 CD, you may be right. The 8.6 CD boot folder does have Apple Enet, Appleshare and OT extensions. But ISTR the last time I tried to boot a HD system from a copy of the CD's System folder I got an error message, though I may be thinking of the Disk tools boot floppy.

It's worth a try.

--
Bruce Johnson

This is the sig who says 'Ni!'