In a message dated 10/27/05 7:00:33 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>My problem started when the PB arrived and I found the
>previous owner had initialized the hard drive, so no operating
>system. He had included a 7.5.3 system CD, but there was no CD-ROM
>module.

If the system CD is "home brewed," are you sure it is not just an install cd,
w/o any OS of its own on the cd?

>So, I bought a 1400 6X CD-ROM off eBay so I could install an
>OS. Removal of the floppy and insertion of the  CD-ROM drive was
>simple, but when I boot up the PB using cmd-opt-shift-del for the
>CD-ROM (the 1400 doesn't use the standard Mac "C" key command
>although I tried this also) while turning the PB on doesn't work:
>the drive's amber light blinks, I can hear the CD spool up, but the
>screen shows only a floppy icon with a "?" in it. It does this for
>about three minutes, then turns itself off. The machine included a
>boot disk with 7.5.3 which works fine, but that's as far as I can
>get.

One thing I try in these situations is the tried & true PRAM zap; sometimes
it makes an unbootable cd-rom boot, for me at least.

>I've tried removing the floppy drive after the PB is powered up
>and replacing it with the CD-ROM drive, but all I get is nasty
>windows stating I better replace the floppy drive or else. I am
>assured by the seller of the CD-ROM module that it works.

Okay, correct me if I am wrong listers, but you cannot swap any devices on
the powerbook 1400 while it is on, can you? You have to swap the cd-rom/floppy
modules while the laptop is sleep or off.

>I tried copying the disk tools floppy to the desktop, but this didn't
>work. In fact, I went into the disk tools floppy looking for
>something (control panels, preferences, start up) which would do
>anything. I ran Disk First Aid and it came up OK for the untitled
>hard drive.

Did you try copying the disk tools system folder to your untitled HD?

>Networking with my iBook would be nice, but there isn't a single port
>in common with the two machines; I do not like the idea of buying yet
>more adaptors, cables (the PB came with various serial and SCSI
>cables and adaptors), nor PC cards when I am not at all certain they
>will work any better than the CD-ROM. I checked eBay and there are NO
>operating system installations for 7.x nor 8.x on floppies (plenty on
>CDs).

Yes, you would have to either find a ethernet pc card or something, but
nothing can be done until you get your 1400 up and running an OS.

>Any suggestions or workarounds to either get the CD-ROM module to
>work or to get an operating system onto this PowerBook or for
>troubleshooting? I've researched the LEM site and didn't find any
>hints.

First, I would try starting up the 1400 with the cd-rom installed, and zap
the PRAM. Then, see if it sees the cd-rom (assuming the cd-rom has an OS on it,
as discussed previously.

Failing that, you could put a copy of the boot floppy's system folder on the
HD of the 1400, but I am doubtful it would see the cd-rom.

Finally, as a last resort, you could see if anyone locally could assist you.

Good luck,

Ivy F.