At 6:37 AM -0500 11/14/05, matthew.j.ellis wrote:
Thanks for clearing up the confusion over the Li-ion batteries.
I will try a search for the factory stamps.
Is it possible that the NiMH cooked simply because of batttery age? I only
bought the 5300 recently (2 weeks or so) cosmetically as new. The battery was
holding no charge at all.

If I recall correctly from your earlier description there was carbonization around the battery contacts. If some fault causes too much current the plastic can heat up to the point where it starts to outgas or simply burn off so of it's chemical parts. You can end up with carbon left between the contacts. This carbon behaves just like a resistor of fairly low resistance (most resistors are made up of carbon). When you apply power now that resistor heats up and possibly cooks itself some more, lowering the resistance further and thus increasing the heat. So even though the original fault may be one it will now generate heat on it's own.

The best solution is to replace the part that has carbonized. Barring that, break the carbon path and repair the gap with non-conducting material.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA