Thanks for the additional input, Cam, that's very helpful. I currently have 8.5 on this machine (that was what came installed on it), and no installation CD's for 8 or 9, so I may just stick with what I've got. I may really need to get an 8 or 9 CD so I can format the blank hard drive that's now been tranplanted to a backup machine.

It's great to have this forum to get selfless, sharp help on issues, so thanks to both you and Dave for taking the time to help, it was invaluable. I am currently running on the 1400 at 233 MHz. For a $10 upgrade, that ain't bad!

Ciao!

Richard

From: Cameron Kaiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "PowerBooks" <powerbooks@mail.maclaunch.com>
Subject: Re: Good luck, and questions on NuPowr upgrade
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 09:18:59 -0800 (PST)

> Thanks for the input, Cam. Does OS9 have any really compelling features that
> would make the upgrade irresistible?

I don't know if I would call them really compelling, but 9.1 adds improved
file security, additional shortcuts in the Finder, IP-based AppleShare without
using AppleShareIP, improved Sherlock, Software Update control panel, and
better multiple-user support. There are also some USB enhancements, like
USB printer sharing over TCP, but this is irrelevant on a 1400, of course.

Myself, I prefer 9.1 to 8.6, but it's because I'm used to all the little
niceities. I would still upgrade to 8.6, though. 8.6's nanokernel improves
performance quite a bit.

--
--------------------------------- personal: http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ --- Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- Anything that can be put into a nutshell belongs there. -- F. G. Brauer ----