Malcolm Cornelius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>95% sure that I have a VST one and that it uses either the normal 5300/190
>or the normal 3400 adapter.
>
>I've a vague feeling that this has been discussed on the list before a
>couple of years ago and we decided that there were several distinct
>chargers.
Right you are Malcolm. Ok, here's more info than any of y'all really
wanted to know . . .

VST (now SmartDisk) made at least three versions of the 190/5300/3400
chargers. The first is for NiMH 190/5300 batteries only, the "VST Charger
5000" (SCH5000), with the 190/5300-style power input socket only. For the
PowerBook 3400 VST produced a new model, the "VST Charger 3400" (SCH3400)
which can charge the 3400's lithium batteries along with the older NiMH
packs, and it added as well a second power socket for the 3400's power
supply plug. With the arrival of the 3500 VST produced a new revision of
the SCH3400 charger which can handle charging the higher capacity Kanga
batteries. Confusingly, the 3500-capable model carries the same "VST
Charger 3400" (SCH3400) model name. I can't recall if there is any
externally marked revision number difference, might be, been awhile :-P
However, I do recall that the earlier rev SCH3400 cannot charge Kanga
batteries.

Somewhere I have another make charger, 190/5300-only IIRC, might be
Absolute-brand come to think of it . . .

I've never ever seen any standalone charger for 2400 batteries, but maybe
I missed it.

dan k

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700