I've had very poor luck with 700MB disks in older CD-ROM drives of all
sorts, so I wouldn't be too hopeful about the faster 3400 drives (all
from the same era.) You might try even other different 700MB media with
the slim chance that some 700MB media may be more compatible than those
you've tried.

Best bet is to burn 3400-bound disks to tested-for-3400 650MB media.

An alternative of course would be to use a modern USB or FW external
drive through a cardbus adapter.

dan k

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700