On Feb 12, 2006, at 2:25 PM, Andrew Kershaw wrote:

Google can track me by IP, and I can't do anything about that. But voluntarily giving Google more info (like my email address, my proclivity for talking about Macs, etc) sounds like a bad idea. Right now, somebody has to go figure that out by adding up information from various websites. Using Google puts it all right there in Google's database.

Is anybody else concerned about this, or am I just paranoid?

-

Oh, you aren't the only one concerned, but there isn't going to be much occurring that isn't _already_.

The web archives of this list are open, and google is already indexing these lists. Same with some of the netbsd ones I'm on- I googled for ideas about a problem I was having, top on the list of hits, the post I'd made the previous day s to port-cobalt.

Look, it took me 5 seconds to take a snip from your last email to this list (of Feb 4) and find you via google: (the h t t p part whacked to try and defeat list filters): www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22IOxperts+wrote+a+Prism+chipset +driver...%22&btnG=Search

What have you been *doing* for almost 2 weeks without a post here, Drew? Meeting with your radical Mac underground group? :) We will have to watch you more closely.

Seriously, this search engine creep isn't a great thing, especially with the google toolbar sucking all you *documents* to their server for harvesting- unbelieveable! But moving the lists to google, while I don't like it either (will the darn footers get shorter as the big guy will get ad revenue now??? I hope so) won't obviously be that much different than what gets archived now.

I guess you could count google's access to full email addresses as a change, since currently those are munged in the archive. The munging is a comparatively new thing though, IIRC they used to be put back intact. So all of our full email addresses persist in google forever from those days.

Brian

--
Typical traditional philosophical question:
"If a tree falls in the woods but no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Bill Clinton's philosophical question:
"It depends on what the meaning of 'is', is."

Bush administration's philosophical ponderings:
"If the person you are torturing is held in another country, is it still torture??"